Recipe by Sherri Dodsworth
This is pure comfort food that goes together quickly enough for a weeknight dinner.
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 6 green onions with tops
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary needles, finely chopped (about a 4-inch fresh sprig leaves removed)
- 2 fresh sage leaves, finely minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 ounces desired pasta (I used mini bow ties)
- 1 (12 1/2 ounce) can chicken
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 8 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 teaspoons dried celery leaves (very flavorful) (optional)
- 3 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 TBS butter and saute the green pepper, mushrooms, green onions and garlic until translucent, stirring often, taking care not to let them brown. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the cream of chicken soup, the can of chicken, cream, guyere cheese, 2 oz. parmesan cheese, pimiento, turmeric, white pepper, celery salt and celery leaves, if using.
- Gently fold in the pasta until well mixed. Spoon the mixture into a 2 quart casserole.
- Melt the remaining 2 TBS of butter, add the bread crumbs, mix well. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the casserole Sprinkle the remaining grated parmesan cheese over the top as well.
- Bake uncovered in a 350 oven for 45 minutes.