Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I tried several recipes for chicken in Coconut Sauce and just could not find one that suited me. I adapted another recipe to make this one and am very pleased with the results. My father thought it was a little too sweet, but I loved it, just like I get at a Chinese restaurant.
- 1 lb chicken tenders
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, shredded
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream of coconut
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In a large skillet, over med-high heat, sauté onion and garlic.
- Cut chicken into medium size pieces and place in skillet and brown both sides.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add carrots and jalapeno peppers, continue cooking.
- Add spices to coconut milk and mix well.
- Pour mixture over chicken in skillet and cover.
- Continue to cook over medium heat until chicken is done; about 30 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to keep from sticking.
Yummy! I found that if you remove the lid for the last 10 minutes of cooking, the liquid is reduced to exactly the right consistency. Thanks for posting!
This is an absolutely no fail recipe. After cooking this dish twice I changed a few things. I marinated my chicken around 15 minutes in the garlic and real minced ginger, I used equal parts of ginger and garlic. Then I doubled the jalapeno, and added a can of chunk pineapple drained in the last five to ten minutes of cooking. Also I do not stir fry with olive oil it changes the composition and can be toxic at high temperatures. Use I use peanut oil but any high heat resistant oil will do. I served with stir fried baby bok choy and snow peas w/large angle sliced carrots.