Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are great to have in the freezer to serve for unexpected guests or serve for breakfast ofr with a cup of tea. Serve with butter and I like a bit of orange marmelade or just plain
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup maple sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon maple sugar, for sprinkling on top
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cranberries or 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup skim milk buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- Heat oven to 425F, spray a baking sheet with veggie spray or lin it with parchment paper Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder& salt.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender, two knives or your finger tips until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the cranberries& walnuts.
- Make a well and gradually stir in the buttermilk to form a ball (handle as little as possible) the ball will be sticky and a bit difficult to work with.
- Divide the dough in half on a lightly floured board and pat each half into an 8" circle about a 1/2" thick.
- Cut each round into 8 triangles.
- Place scones on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush tops with milk and sprinkle with the tbsp of sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden.
- Serve warm.
Great recipe, but I must admit...I couldn't find maple sugar anywhere, so I used spenda brown sugar instead. I also added about three tablespoons of orange juice. They turned out great...very rich, chewy and flavorful. Thanks for sharings.