Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Use your own favorite meatball recipe to make this. The amounts listed is enough for 2 pounds ground beef, you should get anywhere from 45-50 (1-inch) meatballs, if you are serving a crowd of people then I suggest to use 3 pounds of beef. Serve the meatballs in a chafing dish with long toothpicks or in a small crockpot. If desired you can saute the fresh garlic in the butter first, and then add in the remaining ingredients. This is always a favorite at get togethers!
Top Review by MARIA MAC *
Although I did not make the meatball part I did use this sauce for my own meatballs and it was great. I used this sauce with my cranberry jalapeneo turkey meatballs and serve as an appetizer. Thank you
- 2 -3 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple chunks, drained and reserve juice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 brown sugar brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (adjust amount of garlic to taste)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 -3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon ginger powder (start by adding in only 1 teaspoon, adjusting to taste)
- 1 (250 ml) bottle Russian salad dressing
- 4 cups cranberry sauce (I just use the whole can!)
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the ground beef with your favorite meatball recipe.
- Shape into about 1-inch balls (or as desired).
- Place on a baking sheet and brown to about HALF cooked, just enough to release the fat (maintain oven heat to 350 degrees).
- In a saucepan combine reserved pineapple juice, butter, brown sugar, minced fresh garlic, cornstarch, cider vinegar, soy sauce and ginger (start with 1 teaspoon ginger powder) Russian Dressing and cranberry sauce; bring to a boil, simmer and cook until the mixture is thickened and bubbly (about 10-15 minutes) stirring occasionally.
- Grease a casserole dish (large enough to hold the mixture).
- Place the semi-cooked meatballs in the dish with the sauce, pineapple chunks and chopped bell peppers; stir gently with a wooden spoon to coat the meatballs.
- Cover and bake for about 30 minutes or until meatballs are cooked completely.
- *NOTE* if you find that the sauce is too sweet, then add in another tablesooon cider vinegar and simmer on top of the stove for anoth couple of minutes or so.