Recipe by BreBea
Cranberry Buttercream. Yes. I couldn't find a recipe for it, so I made one myself. I just grabbed some cranberry jelly that I made from the freezer, melted it, and made a buttercream the normal way...WHIP IT! I hope you like this one. Works great with the Duncan Hines Pineapple flavored cake mix.
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
This makes a nice icing, the cranberry flavor is really refreshing, but it's not a good decorator frosting. To achieve a decorator consistency I added a lot of extra powdered sugar. By the time I could swirl a cupcake it was too sweet to eat more than a couple bites, and the frosting wouldn't stay upright without immediate freezing, which I did for the photo. I know this recipe has serious potential and I will most definitely play around with it until I can use it for decorating. The color changes from a bright burgundy to a dark mauve and eventually (with more sugar) a pale mauve with bright red specks of cranberry. It would be a really lovely color on a wedding cake. Even though we can't eat this frosting, it didn't go to waste. I'm teaching my 5 year old daughter to decorate and this was a perfect opportunity to just let her go to town practicing her cupcake swirls. Thank you for sharing your creation, BreLeigh, I'm sorry I can't give the recipe, as written, a higher rating. Made for the Spring 2012 Pick-A-Chef event.
- 1 cup cranberry jelly, melted
- 4 -5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, didn't measure
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the cranberry jelly, add it to the mixer/bowl and whip until the bowl is cool to the touch. I used the whisk attachment on my mixer.
- Add the salt, vanilla, and butter until it starts to come together (1 cup or more, I didn't really measure, and buttercream isn't supposed to be healthy ;) ).
- When the butter and melted cranberry jelly come together (basically a flavored butter) start adding the sugar until you are at the sweetness level you like.
- Add some of the milk if the buttercream is too think.