Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This salad has a great combination of toppings, a sweet dressing and crunchy glazed almonds.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, torn
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup glazed almonds (instructions below)
- 3⁄4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- Combine dresssing ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake well.
- Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a sauce pan or skillet combine sugar and almonds.
- Stir constantly until nuts are glazed.
- Be very careful not to burn.
- Pour nuts on waxed paper separating them to cool.
- Mix dressing with lettuce and top with almonds to serve.
This is a great salad! I just used a mixture of greens that I had growning in my garden. I used craisins and we did not even use the cheese. The dressing was simple and very tasty. With all of the salad that we have growing in the garden we will use this often. We love the dressing and have used it for other salad combinations. I did use a raspberry balsamic vinegar and have used a splenda blend instead of sugar.
This salad is DELICIOUS! I've made it three times and keep getting cravings for it, so I'm making it again for dinner tonight. The dressing makes it 5 stars- it's simple yet fabulous! I use Splenda and it comes out great. (Cut back on the Splenda if you don't like sweet dressing, it comes out veeeery sweet, which I love!)
Great combination of ingredients, but far too much sugar for my liking. I think the cranberries (I used a mix of cranberries and raisins) give the salad enough sweetness and simply toasting the almonds would work better than glazing them in sugar.. unless you want to serve an unusual dessert of course :) Saying this, I guess if you use unsweetened (naturally sour) cranberries then adding a little extra sweetness might work well. Very difficult to find unsweetened cranberries around here though. I also found that I didn't even need half the dressing I made following the recipe.. so need to make some more salad tomorrow to use it up!!