Mandarin Lettuce Salad
This is one of my favorite salads to make for a gathering. It can be assembled early and just add the almonds and vinegrette at the last minute and toss. I got the recipie from my sister. It is one of her most recommended recipies. I can even get my carnivourous son to eat this because it's a little sweet :) Honestly, the number of servings is just a guess. Sorry.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon sugar, plus
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 head iceberg lettuce, broken
- 1⁄4 head romaine lettuce, broken
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges
- Combine salt, pepper, 2T.
- sugar, vinegar, oil, and tobasco.
- Shake or whisk to combine.
For candies almonds:
- Combine 1 T.
- plus 1 teaspoons sugar in a small non-stick pan.
- Stir over low hear until carmalized and brown.
- Remove from pan onto waxed paper and separate as much as possible.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Combine remaining ingredients.
- Toss in vinegrette, then almonds.
- Serve immediately.