Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A wondrous little creation that goes together easily, smells terrific while it's cooking, and fills the mouth with delicious flavors! Excellent for taking to potlucks (different from the "ordinary" stuff you often see!). I make this whenever my mom comes to visit--to her it is such a special treat!
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of celery soup or 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (swished in the soup can)
- salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (or more)
- 3 bunches broccoli (see note)
- 1 lb imitation crabmeat, thawed
- 3 -4 cups dried breadcrumbs (see note)
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350; butter a 13x9 cake pan; set aside.
- In a small bowl, blend soup and milk; add seasonings; set aside.
- Peel the broccoli stems, cut into 3-4 inch spears; spread broccoli in prepared baking pan, stems and all.
- Cut crab pieces into bite-size chunks; spread HALF over the broccoli; sprinkle with HALF of the bread crumbs; pour HALF of the soup-milk over this; sprinkle HALF the cheese over the milk; repeat with remaining crab, crumbs, soup-milk and cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- SUBSTITUTE two or three 10 oz. pkgs of frozen (thawed) broccoli for the fresh.
- *** NOTE *** Cut 4-5 slices of bread into cubes, toast in the oven while it is preheating, coarsely crush them.
- VARIATION: Try SWISS or Monterey Jack cheese instead of Cheddar---yummy!
- OPTION #2: Substitute SHRIMP for the crab, to get a whole 'nother thing! Delish!
I made 1/4 of the recipe and that made 2 nice sized servings. I used low fat mushroom soup, skim milk and 2 wrapped slices of fat free Swiss cheese to trim down the fat. I didn't have curry powder so I used Ras El Hanout - Moroccan Spice Mix and it worked wonderfully. I put some sliced fresh mushrooms on the very bottom of the casserole which I also liked as they provided a tie into the soup. Easy to put together and it tastes great. Made for Photo Tag.
Made for TAG, took to our ladies night potluck... and waited with baited breath...the reviews were good! The only person who didn't give it a thumbs up happens to hate curry powder, so she really doesn't count! This travels well- I just popped it into my Corning Wear tote, and the dish was still warm 1/2 hour later. Will try cream of mushroom with herbs soup next time, just for grins.