1/1 Photo of Cozido
2 hrs 30 mins
This Portuguese soup is posted by request; I've not made this recipe myself.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs flank steaks, quartered
- 1 lb pork ribs
- 8 ounces pork hock, chopped in one-inch pieces
- 1 lb morcela sausage (a Portuguese sausage)
- 1 lb chourico sausage (the Portuguese equivalent to chorizo)
- 8 ounces salpicao sausage (a Portugese sausage)
- 8 ounces lean bacon, in one piece
- 12 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn, crushed
- 2 onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 1/2 small turnip, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 1/2 cabbage, cut into thick wedges
- 2 carrots, scraped and thickly sliced
- 1 collard greens, trimmed and cut roughly
- 1Put all the meat (flank steak through to bacon) into a large stock pot, cover with the water, and bring to a boil; remove all scum.
- 2Add salt, peppercorns, onions, garlic, parsley (2 sprigs of fresh mint can be substituted if you wish), bay leaves and cloves; reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pot, and simmer for about 90 minutes; test the sausages after about 40 minutes, however, and remove them (keep them warm) as soon as they're cooked.
- 3Test the remaining meat during the balance of the cooking time, as not all the meat may need the full 90 minutes of cooking time; keep meat warm when removing from the pot.
- 4Keep removing scum as mixture cooks, and skim off any visible fat as well.
- 5When all the meat has been removed, add the sweet potatoes, turnip, cabbage, carrots and the collard green (if the broth has reduced down too much, add water to ensure that the vegetables are covered); taste and add some salt if necessary.
- 6Over medium-low heat, cook the vegetables, covered, for about 20 minutes, or until they're tender when tested; if some vegetables cook faster than the others, remove them and keep warm.
- 7When all the veggies are cooked, cut both the meat and veggies into serving-size pieces and place on individual soup plates; drizzle broth over (you may not use it all), and serve.
Nutritional Facts for Cozido
Serving Size: 1 (851 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1032.4
- Calories from Fat 696
- Total Fat 77.4 g
- Saturated Fat 27.2 g
- Cholesterol 200.1 mg
- Sodium 1967.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 59.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: