Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my great grandmother's coffee cake recipe - the best I have ever tried!
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup sour milk
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and shortening and mix until crumbly.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of these crumbs. To the remaining crumbs add baking powder, baking soda and spices. Mix well.
- Add the milk and eggs and beat well. Pour mixture into 2 8-inch square pans and sprinkle evenly with reserved crumb mixture.
- Chopped nutes and cinnamon may also be sprinkled on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes.
- *Note* Sour milk may be faked by adding a tablspoon of vinegar to the milk and letting it sit out on the counter prior to using in the recipe.