County Fair Cherry Biscotti
- Seperate one egg, set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and 1 cup plus 2 tblspns sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in 2 eggs and reserved egg yolk. Beat in extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Turn onto floured surface. Knead in cherries and almonds. Divide dough in half; shape each portion into a 12 inches X 3 inches rectangle. Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Beat reserved egg white; brush over dough. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350 for 28-30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes.
- Transfer to cutting board; with a serrated knife, cut each rectangle diagonally into 18 slices. place cut side down on greased baking sheets. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning once. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over both sides of cookies. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
- Melt white chocolate and remaining shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over both sides of cookies. Place on waxed paper, let stand until set. Store in an airtight container.