Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Vegetarian Times. Use thered variety of quinoa if you can.
- 3⁄4 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups corn kernels
- 1 large red potatoes, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 small shallots, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups plain soymilk
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus
- 2 -3 sprigs fresh cilantro, for garnish
- lime wedge (optional)
- Toast quinoa and cumin seeds in pot over medium-high heat, 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden and fragrant, stirring constantly. Transfer to bowl.
- Heat oil in pot; add corn, potato and shallots.
- Sauté 5 minutes, or until shallots are translucent. Add broth and soymilk, and bring to a boil. Stir in quinoa mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in bell pepper, cover and simmer 5 minutes, or until quinoa and vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat; stir in chopped cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls, and garnish with cilantro sprigs and lime wedges, if desired.