Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Subway Orchard Chicken Salad is a seasonal menu item at Subway Restaurant Chains. Last year, I found this wonderful chicken salad too late. I only had it once before it was taken off of the menu. So this year when this chicken salad that is packed with apples, celery, chicken and cerry infused cranberries, came back out I made a beeline to Subway, and this recipe isn't their top secret anymore. I took a couple of liberties with this recipe. They use only red apples, but I used one red, and one Granny Smith apple because I like the flavor of the two apple together. I also chose to use the cherry infused craisins. I thought the cherry added a little extra sweet touch. If you don't have these available the regular ones will taste just as good. This recipe is made with light mayonnaise so we go a little lighter than using regular mayonnaise. This recipe would work with regular mayonnaise as well, but I think it may be a little too heavy. This salad stays fresh in your refrigerator for several days. So you can make this before you are ready to serve.
- 3 cups cooked chicken breasts, diced
- 1 red apple, Honeycrisp works well
- 1 Granny Smith apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup cherry juice infused craisins
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- salt, to taste
- 4 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds (optional)
- pepper, to taste
- hoagie roll (optional)
- lettuce leaf (optional)
- tomatoes, slices (optional)
- Chop both apples into small cubes and place into a bowl. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of lemon juice over apples, this will help them from turning brown. Add chopped chicken, chopped celery, and craisins. Mix well. Add 1 cup of light mayonnaise, and stir well. Depending on how the salad is coated, you may want to add an additional 1/2 cup of light mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper. Allow flavors to marry in the refrigerator in a covered container for about an hour before serving.
- After making this recipe a few times, I added some toasted almond slivers to this salad, and thought the almond slivers added a really nice touch.