Prep 2 mins
Cook 0 mins
The original cocktail was created by Trader Vic Bergeron in San Francisco California in 1944 - it became the signature drink for his chain of restaurants. You'll note that there's nary a drop of orange or pineapple juice. For this reason, Mai Tais made with any sort of juice (besides lime juice) are not "true" Mai Tais.
- 2 ounces of 17 year old j. wray & nephew rum
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 ounce holland dekuyper orange Curacao
- 1⁄4 ounce trader vic rock candy syrup
- 1⁄2 ounce french garier orgeat syrup
- Pour all ingredients over shaved ice in a cocktail shaker.
- Shake vigorously and pour into a collins glass.
- Add a sprig of fresh mint.