Recipe by HSingARMYmom
I'm mostly posting this here so I don't lose it again but this is really, really good dressing. I think there's a bunch of Costa Vida resturants out west but I went to the one in Portland, ME and am now hooked!
Top Review by LauraBlueEyes
This is amazing dressing. It reminds me a great deal of a sauce they serve in Houston area Mexican restaurants. I have made it many times and am just now getting around to giving you a well deserved 5 stars. Every time I make it someone wants the recipe. Thanks HSingARMYmom, love this stuff.
- 3 tomatillos, medium, cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 cup cilantro, fresh
- 5 scallions (white and ends)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 ounce ranch dressing mix (I use 1 pkt. Hidden Valley mix)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- Put all ingredients in the blender and blend well. If you like it a little more mild, use less cayenne pepper and less of the jalepeno seeds. I usually only use 5-6 seeds & a tiny piece of the core. My mom uses the whole pepper seeds and all.
- "Cooking" time does NOT include chilling time - chill in fridge for at least 2 hours to let the flavors meld.