Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Leftovers reheat quite nicely.
- 1 (1 lb) ziti pasta (short tube-shaped pasta)
- 1 lb turkey sausage, italian links
- 1⁄4 cup dried onion flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (26 ounce) spaghetti sauce
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- cooking spray
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded fresh
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated fresh
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, but stop short by 2 minutes. Drain the pasta, and run under cold water to stop cooking, set aside.
- Crumble and cook sausage, onion, and garlic in skillet until browned, stirring frequently. Add the salt, pepper, and spaghetti sauce, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and let cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine cooked pasta, sauce and seasoning. Place half of the mixture in a casserole coated with cooking spray. Top with half of mozzarella and half of Parmesan. Repeat layers. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups).
Delicious! I used whole wheat penne and spicy chicken sausage. Also added crushed red pepper and a splash of balsamic vinegar as I do every time I make pasta. Husband loved the recipe - but what's not to love with pasta, cheese, and sausage?