Prep 48 hrs
Cook 35 mins
Can be white or black sweet bread. From My Sweet Mexico Gerson. Good cookbook. This has to proof overnight. This is the Mexican sweet bread.
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk, scalded
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup butter, soft
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, soft
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cocoa (optional)
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk with sugar.
- Mix in yeast mixture beat until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Add butter and salt little at a time.
- Knead until smooth and elastic; put in a greased bowl; let rise until doubled.
- Flip over, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day punch down; let rise until doubled.
- While dough is rising, prepare topping.
- If making chocolate, take out 3 tablespoons flour for cocoa.
- Combine wet to dry.
- Divide dough into 2 ounce pieces, the size of a tennis ball.
- If sticky add little flour.
- Place on parchment paper, flatten to form a dome shape, place 1 inch apart.
- Roll topping into gumball sized shape and put on dome; flatten out to cover the dome.
- Score topping 5 times diagonally so it looks like a sea shell.
- Let rise until dough spring backs.
- Bake in 350 degree Fahrenheit oven 35 to 45 minutes until bottom and sides are golden.