Recipe by Dienia B.
Can be white or black sweet bread. From My Sweet Mexico Gerson. Good cookbook. This has to proof overnight. This is the Mexican sweet bread.
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk, scalded
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup butter, soft
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, soft
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cocoa (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk with sugar.
- Mix in yeast mixture beat until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Add butter and salt little at a time.
- Knead until smooth and elastic; put in a greased bowl; let rise until doubled.
- Flip over, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day punch down; let rise until doubled.
- While dough is rising, prepare topping.
- If making chocolate, take out 3 tablespoons flour for cocoa.
- Combine wet to dry.
- Divide dough into 2 ounce pieces, the size of a tennis ball.
- If sticky add little flour.
- Place on parchment paper, flatten to form a dome shape, place 1 inch apart.
- Roll topping into gumball sized shape and put on dome; flatten out to cover the dome.
- Score topping 5 times diagonally so it looks like a sea shell.
- Let rise until dough spring backs.
- Bake in 350 degree Fahrenheit oven 35 to 45 minutes until bottom and sides are golden.