Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a flavorful, creamy, delicious version of a simple long-time favorite. I have combined several recipes and made my own tweaks, landing on this as my favorite!
- 8 ounces uncooked macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons bacon pieces (I use Oscar Mayer Real Bacon Recipe Pieces)
- 2 cups grated cheese, of your choice (I use monterey jack)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Cook macaroni to desired tenderness, drain & set aside.
- 3. In a large saucepan, melt butter.
- 4. Combine flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder and ground mustard in a bowl and mix with fork. Add to melted butter and stir with whisk until well blended.
- 5. Combine milk, cream, Worcestershire sauce, sour cream & bacon and add to pan gradually while stirring constantly.
- 6. Bring to boiling point and boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 7. Reduce heat and simmer (stirring every couple minutes) for 10 minutes.
- 8. Add Parmesan and shredded cheddar 1/3 at a time, stirring until all cheese is added and melted (about 3-5 minutes).
- 9. Turn off flame, add cooked macaroni to saucepan and coat with cheese sauce.
- 10. Transfer to an ungreased 2-quart casserole dish.
- 11. Sprinkle with desired amount of breadcrumbs.
- 12. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly & top is golden brown.