Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A can of cola gives the savory barbecue sauce a flavor boost.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 (12 ounce) can cola
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add chicken; brown on all sides.
- Carefully add cola, ketchup, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Remove the chicken and keep warm.
- Combine the cornstarch and cold water until smooth; add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Return chicken to pan; heat through.
I used b/s chicken thighs but otherwise followed the recipe. These were so easy to make and the longer they simmered the more tender they got. Will make this dish again! Made for All You Can Cook Buffet.
Really loved this chicken! It was like barbecued chicken but very moist and tender. I used Dr. Pepper as the cola and it really gave a wonderful flavor. So simple to make too...thanks for posting!
Tasty. I used diet cola and was prepared to add brown sugar if needed but the sauce was as sweet as I would want. We really enjoyed the sauce and might try it on ribs or chicken on the grill.