Recipe by Carol in Oregon 2
I started baking this cake in 1965. None of this family really cares for citrus cake, so I adapted this to suit us.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups sifted flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 3 cups maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 1 cup seedless raisin
- 1 cup chopped dates (I prefer Dromedary)
- 3 cups chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the oil, sugar and eggs; beat vigorously with electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Sift 2 cups of the flour with the baking powder, salt and spices.
- Stir into the oil mixture alternately with the pineapple juice.
- Mix remaining cup of flour with the fruits and nuts.
- Pour batter over this mixture, blending well.
- Turn into well greased Bundt or Tube pan.
- Place on middle rack in oven; set a pan of water on lower rack.
- Bake very slowly at 275 degrees for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the cake tests done with a toothpick.
- Let stand for 20 to 30 minutes before removing from pan (the cake needs time to firm up a little).
- Turn out on serving platter and cool completely.