2 hrs 15 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Ancho-Coffee and Rub
- 1 tablespoon french roast coffee beans
- 1 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1To prepare the rub: Place the ingredients in a heated heavy skillet.
- 2Shake together and allow to toast for 1 minute or until mixture begins to release a strong aroma.
- 3Pour into a spice or coffee grinder and grind to a coarse powder.
- 4Rub the tri-tip on all sides with the spice rub; sprinkle with salt to taste.
- 5Place meat in a sealable plastic bag, seal and place in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
- 6Remove the meat from the plastic bag and place on rack of smoker that has been preheated to 225deg.
- 7Combine the maple syrup and hot sauce; begin basting every 1/2 hour after the first hour.
- 8Smoke the tri-tip until an instant read thermometer inserted into the center registers 130deg. for medium-rare (approximately 2 to 3 hours).
- 9Transfer the meat to a carving board, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for 20 minutes.
- 10Slice the meat thinly across the grain and arrange on a warmed serving platter, sprinkle with salt.
- 11Serve with chipotle guacamole and Spanish rice.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coffee and Spice Smoked Tri-Tip
Serving Size: 1 (27 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 345.9
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 98.2 mg
- Sodium 341.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 29.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: