Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a version of a recipe that was emailed to me by Williams-Sonoma. The recipe called for their coffee and spice rub. Fortunately, I was able to develop an alternative to the purchased rub. Serve this with flour tortillas, Spanish rice and Chipotle Guacamole.
- To prepare the rub: Place the ingredients in a heated heavy skillet.
- Shake together and allow to toast for 1 minute or until mixture begins to release a strong aroma.
- Pour into a spice or coffee grinder and grind to a coarse powder.
- Rub the tri-tip on all sides with the spice rub; sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Place meat in a sealable plastic bag, seal and place in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove the meat from the plastic bag and place on rack of smoker that has been preheated to 225deg.
- Combine the maple syrup and hot sauce; begin basting every 1/2 hour after the first hour.
- Smoke the tri-tip until an instant read thermometer inserted into the center registers 130deg. for medium-rare (approximately 2 to 3 hours).
- Transfer the meat to a carving board, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Slice the meat thinly across the grain and arrange on a warmed serving platter, sprinkle with salt.
- Serve with chipotle guacamole and Spanish rice.
Very good!!!! I used New Mexico Chile powder, but other than that I followed the directions on the rub. My DH forgot to do the glaze and some people still declared it the best beef they've ever had!!