Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Enjoy a warm slice of coconuty heaven with this tart.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- ice water
- 2 cups desiccated flaked coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 tablespoons apricot jam
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a small saucepan simmer the coconut, sugar, water, butter, and salt for 15 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Blend the butter into the flour and salt mixture with a fork until it becomes crumbly.
- Stir in the lightly beaten egg yolk and iced water and mix until the dough forms a ball. Add iced water a tablespoon at a time if mixture is too crumbly.
- Press the dough into a 9-inch pie dish. Spread the apricot jam over the base of the pie crust.
- When the coconut mix has cooked for 15 minutes, remove from the heat and stir in the lightly beaten eggs yolks, vanilla, and almond extracts. Whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then fold into the coconut mix.
- Spoon the filling into the pie crust and bake for 40 minutes, or until the coconut filling has set and is turning golden brown. Serve hot.
Great recipe. Doubles well too. When making the filling, it needs to caramelise untill it is slightly golden in colour. The crust has no sugar but it tastes great with the apricot jam spread on it.