Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Origin - Sri Lanka. The roasted Semolina gives these toffees a crunchy, grainy texture that is so wonderful! Together with the shredded coconut, this sweet (in my opinion) is absolutely fab! You have to try this! Note - I have found that Semolina comes in many forms, from a very fine powder to big grains even! Use a medium grain semolina, not too big and not too fine!
- 250 g semolina, roasted
- 150 g fresh coconut or 150 g desiccated coconut
- 400 g soft brown sugar (White sugar works fine too)
- 4 cardamom pods (if using cardamom powder, then 1/4 teaspoon should do)
- 1⁄4 cup water (if using desiccated coconut, I recommend using 1/8 cup water and 1/8 cup coconut milk for better fla)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Firstly, oil or butter a cookie sheet (or even a cutting board would do!).
- ((If using cardomom pods - split the cardomom pods and remove the seeds. Crush the seeds with the handle of your knife.)).
- In a non-stick pan,over medium heat, dry roast the semolina until light brown in colour. Keep stirring so it doesn't burn. Set aside.
- In another pan, mix sugar and water together and cook on medium heat until all the sugar is dissolved. (If you find the mixture getting too dry and that your sugar has not yet dissolved, add a bit more water).
- Add the coconut and mix well.
- Add roasted semolina, cardomom seeds or powder, vanilla essence and mix until well combined and the mixture is ready to set. (Should be quite thick).
- Immediately transfer onto the greased sheet and flatten with the back of your spatula. Cut into any shape you like - (Diamond or square)with a butter knife.You can even use a cookie cutter if you fancy!
- Allow to set and cool completely. It may take about 30-40mins.
- Once cooled, store in an airtight container and enjoy!