Recipe by Rita~
This coconut rice has cumin, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, red chili, carrot, garlic lemon grass, nuts, peas & coconut.This is being made for a Luau!
Top Review by Tulip-Fairy
I used long grain rice instead of basmati but it was still delicious. The spices/nuts combination were just right. While first cooking, the colours and smell didn't bode well, but by the final dish it was amazing! As i did this for a party i doubled the recipe and had a little left over for lunch the next day...again it was amazing.
- 2 cups basmati rice (white)
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 small red chile, seeded and minced
- 1 carrot, cut julienne very fine strips
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup chopped macadamia nuts, toasted
- 1 cup frozen peas
- toasted coconut (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place rice in a large bowl and pour water and coconut milk over it. Stir and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and saute cumin, cinnamon, cardamom, chile, and carrots over med-high heat for a minute.
- Stir in garlic, lemon grass, salt, and rice with soaking liquid. Bring to a boil, cover pan, reduce heat, simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in nuts and peas, cover and simmer another 5 minutes. Remove lemon grass and garnish with toasted coconut.