Delicious twist on breaded chicken strips. The coconut crust is delicate, so these are best served up hot, as soon as they're out of the frying pan, and everything else is already on the plate. A thick, mild curry sauce spooned over top is a wonderful addition. I made these up off the top of my head, but the flavors are all borrowed from Thai cuisine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded coconut (sweetened is fine)
- 1/2 cup cashews (raw is better)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 limes (or 1 large lemon, if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons your favorite marinade (i.e. tequilla-lime, ginger-soy)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil, pan (for frying)
- 1Slice each chicken breasts horizontally to yield 3-4 thin, flat pieces, not unlike schnitzel.
- 2Grate the zest from both limes and set aside. Juice the limes into a marinating bowl, mix in your chosen marinade (something saucy with a sweet note will work well) and leave the chicken to marinate in this for at least 30 minutes. (This is the passive cooking time.).
- 3Chop or crush the cashews into small pieces. The, in a shallow bowl, combine the cashews, coconut, cilantro, and lime zest.
- 4Put the flour into a shallow bowl. Mix egg with 1 tablespoon of water, and pour this into another shallow bowl. Put these beside your bowl of coconut mixture and your assembly line is complete.
- 5Pour oil into a frying pan and turn on heat to medium-high.
- 6Coat the marinated chicken pieces in flour, then egg, then coconut mixture. Shake off excess coconut and don't aim for 100% coverage.
- 7Gently put coated chicken strips into hot oil. Fry each side until golden-brown, flipping gently so as not to lift off the coconut coating. Oil should be deep enough for lots of sizzle, but not deep enough to float all coconut off the chicken.
- 8Serve immediately, or let rest on paper towels for a few minutes before serving. These are delicious with spiced yam mash and a fresh salad with citrus dressing. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Cashew Crusted Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 911.2
- Calories from Fat 514
- Total Fat 57.1 g
- Saturated Fat 21.6 g
- Cholesterol 174.1 mg
- Sodium 456.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 23.2 g
- Protein 40.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: