Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Once you learn how to make this sauce, you will want to put it on top of everything! Steak, roast beef, meat loaf, veal, chicken, turkey, pot roast, baked potatoes, egg noodles all are enhanced when topped with this classic sauce. The recipe comes from Chef Sallie Williams.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour (I use Wondra.)
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef bouillon or 1 1⁄4 cups brown stock
- 1⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, minced
- 1⁄4 cup shallots or 1⁄4 cup scallion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red wine, drinkable
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Remove it from the heat and whisk in the flour a little at a time until smooth.
- Return to low heat and, stirring constantly, cook until mixture turns golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the stock, stirring until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the mushrooms, shallots and wine. Combine.
- Heat through and add pepper to taste.
- This sauce will keep in the refrigerator for 2 days, maximum. Re-warm over low heat before serving.
Great sauce recipe Greg! I used this to go with my roast this weekend and it was excellent! I make balls of flour and butter to have handy when I make gravies and sauces, so I used 2 of those in this recipe. Worked great! Thanks. Alexa
excellent sauce. simple recipe to follow and i actually ended up making it with portobello mushrooms and just ate it as is tossed with about 1/2c organic pasta. this was good enough to eat without any meat. the mushrooms alone give it substantial texture and the rest of the ingredients make a very smooth and delicious sauce. all of greg's recipes are great its just hard trying to decide which one to try first! thanks for sharing and keep them coming!