Recipe by Happy Hippie
This recipe was adapted from a version in "The Way to Cook" by Julia Child as printed in the April 2008 issue of bon appetit. The article claims that this is an easy foolproof recipe for this souffle. I've yet to try it yet but can't wait. I've never made a souffle before -- too many stories of failures for me to bother. This has changed my mind.
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup milk, whole
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 4 large egg yolks
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, packed coarsely (about 4 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Position rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 400 degrees.
- Butter 6-cup (1-1/2 quart) souffle dish.
- Add Parmesan cheese and tilt dish, coating bottom and sides.
- Warm milk in heavy small saucepan over medium-low heat until steaming.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour and whisk until mixture begins to foam and loses raw taste, about 3 minutes; do not allow mixture to brown).
- Remove saucepan from heat; let stand 1 minute.
- Pour in warm milk, whisking constantly until very thick, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; whisk in paprika, salt, and nutmeg.
- Add egg yolks 1 at a time, whisking to blend after each addition.
- Scrape souffle base into large bowl.
- Cool to lukewarm. DO AHEAD; can be made 2 hours ahead.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature.
- Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in another large bowl until stiff but not dry.
- Fold 1/4 of whites into lukewarm or room temperature souffle base to lighten.
- Fold in remaining whites in 2 additions while gradually sprinkling in Gruyere cheese.
- Transfer batter to prepared dish.
- Place dish in oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Bake until souffle is puffed and golden brown on top and center moves only slightly when dish is shaken gently, about 25 minutes (do not open oven door during first 20 minutes).
- Serve immediately.