Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a classic recipe, not made with shortening like other versions
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, unsalted, softened, cut into cubes
- 5 cups icing sugar (powdered)
- 10 tablespoons condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add the condensed milk and beat on the medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition (about 2 minutes), until the icing is thick.
- You can add gel food coloring at this point.
- Make sure to use the icing at room temperature, and cool once the cake is assembled.