Recipe by Julie B's Hive
Haven't tried these but if you do please let me know the outcome. Prep time is a guess and just a few minutes under the broiler.
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can minced clams
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise, not lite
- 8 slices white bread (thin slices)
- 3 egg whites
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine well-drained clams, lemon rind, juice, mayonnaise, salt to taste and a dash of paprika. Set in refrigerator while preparing bread rounds. With a 2 inch cookie cutter, cut 3 rounds from each slice of bread. Arrange the 24 rounds on a cookie sheet. Put it under a hot broiler. Leave broiler door open and watch carefully until rounds are toasted, less than 1 minute. Take rounds out with a pancake turner as they brown. Toast only one side.
- Beat egg whites stiff, fold them into the clam mixture and mound it high on the untoasted sides of the rounds. Put them back on the cookie sheet and sprinkle lightly with paprika. Put them back under the broiler. Again leave broiler door open and stand by with the pancake turner. The meringues will puff and brown in 1/2 minute. Serve at once. Makes 24 rounds.