Recipe by Montana Heart Song
Do you like Indian Fry Bread? I have taken this idea for this bread to turn it into claim fritters and accompanying dip. This is a great recipe to load a crockpot on warm setting with the fritters and have the cold dip next to it for an appetizer party. This dip can be used with any baked or fried fish. Chilling or Cooling time not included.
Top Review by Nif
This was a great idea and I was excited to make it! These are quite a bit of work to make but it was fun to try something new. Unfortunately, the fritters were too oil and I could only have 1. I love clams and they didn't go very far in this. I gave 3 stars for the excellent instructions, originality and the awesome dip (I skipped the olives)! Thanks! :D
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 2 tbsp
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons powdered milk
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can minced clams, drained reserve juice
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 12 ounces sour cream
- 1 tablespoon pesto sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 teaspoon worchestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon horseradish cream (Kraft Creamy Horseradish Sauce)
- 1⁄2 cup minced stuffed green olives with pimentos
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all dip ingredients in the order listed. Cover and refrigerate in a crockery or metal bowl.
- It is best to refrigerate 4-6 hours. If you can't, cool at least an hour before serving.
- In large mixing bowl, mix 2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and powdered milk.
- Add shortening and cut in with pastery cutter or two forks.
- Mix in nutmeg and confectionary sugar. Mix well.
- Add drained claims.
- Measure reserved juice for 2 tblsps.claim juice.
- Add to the mixture.
- Slowly pour and mix warm water to the mixture and mix.
- Dough will be sticky. If it isn't add a little more liquid carefully.
- Sprinkle 2 tblsps flour on surface in a large circle.
- Turn out sticky dough on floured surface.
- Knead until dough is soft and smooth, not sticky. Sprinkle more flour if necessary.
- on the surface when you kneading or a little flour on the dough.
- Form into 2 inch balls. Place on a lightly floured dish. Form the balls all at once.
- Heat oil to 375* in fry pan or if you have a deep fryer heatto 375* for the oil required for that appliance.
- When oil is ready, flatten each ball to 5 to 6 inches and slide the flatten disk into the oil. Fry on one side.
- about 2 minutes, then flip over to cook the other side. It will not take quite as long.
- Drain on paper towels. Keep Warm. Or, reheat when ready to serve.