Recipe by kmdipaolo
This recipe comes from the Claim Jumper Restaurant in Colorado. We ate there several years ago and my daughter loved this cake. Definitely something for the serious chocolate lover.
Top Review by Marikathryn
I would give it 1/2 star if possible! Don't waste your time and energy and money on the ingredients! After spending the time to carefully follow the directions exactly this cake came out in crumbs when I cut it! There wasn't enough frosting to covernitmand it turnednhard as a rock even covered with a glass case! I was mortified as I made it for friends. I have NEVER had a cake turn out like this! Hedious. Don't waste your time and have the disappointment! DON'T MAKE THIS!!!!
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 3⁄4 cups flour
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups boiling water
- 3 cups chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Add first seven ingredients into a mixing bowl, mixing well in between each ingredient.
- Sift flour, baking powder and soda, and salt and add to mixing bowl.
- Fold the boilingwater into the ingredients in the mixing bowl.
- Mix well.
- Grease and flour six 8" round baking pans.
- Pour batter equally into each of the pans.
- Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips into each pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Let cakes cool for 10 minutes on a rack, then remove from pans.
- When completely cool, ice with Chocolate Motherlode Frosting (recipe#109447).
- Coat with nuts if desired.
- Cake will keep for 3 days if covered and chill.
- Serve at room temperature.