1/2 Photos of City Bakery Macaroni and Cheese
1 hr 38 mins
1 hr 8 mins
From Chef Ilene Rosen of City Bakery in New York City.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons butter (plus extra for the baking dish)
- 1/4 cup cornbread, crumbs (or more, depending on pan size)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 quart whole milk
- 6 tablespoons flour
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups grated gruyere cheese
- 1 1/4 cups grated mild white cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cups grated grana padano (or Parmesan cheese)
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°; lightly butter a 3 1/2 quart casserole dish or a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- 2Sprinkle the crumbs in a single layer on a baking sheet; bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown; set aside.
- 3Bring a large pot of salted water to boiling; cook the macaroni al dente (8-10 minutes); drain macaroni; then place in a large bowl.
- 4Bring milk to a simmer in a small saucepan over med-high heat.
- 5In a medium saucepan over med-low heat, melt the 6 tablespoons butter; add in the flour; mix well using a wooden spoon or spatula.
- 6Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
- 7Whisk in hot milk and continue whisking until smooth.
- 8Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring continuously, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the spoon.
- 9Season with salt and pepper; strain through a fine strainer.
- 10Add the sauce to the macaroni; add in 1 cup each: Gruyere, Cheddar, add Grana Padano; stir to mix well.
- 11Taste, and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- 12Pour the macaroni mixture into the casserole dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 13Sprinkle the toasted cornbread crumbs evenly over the casserole.
- 14Cover with foil; bake on the middle shelf about 20 minutes or until heated through.
- 15Remove foil and continue baking about 10 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- 16Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for City Bakery Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (310 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 713.5
- Calories from Fat 309
- Total Fat 34.4 g
- Saturated Fat 20.6 g
- Cholesterol 100.4 mg
- Sodium 397.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 29.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: