Posted for ZWT6 Greek Region: Koulourakia Portokaliou - The translation of the Greek name for these cookies is "orange cookie twists," probably because the name with all ingredients would be too long! These cookies are made with the juice of oranges and lemons, and the zest of a clementine or tangerine, making them truly a citrus delight. Koulourakia are less sweet than other cookies and a traditional olive oil cookie - no butter - and they keep well stored in tins or frozen. Found on an authentic Greek recipe site for easy recipes. **If you do not have cognac/brandy - substitute 1/3 cup fresh orange juice and one teaspoon vanilla mixed together before placing in recipe. The number of cookies is purely a guess as I've not made this recipe yet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 1/2 ounces olive oil
- 3 1/2 ounces sunflower oil (or other seed oil)
- 7/8 cup sugar
- 1 clementine, peel grated (or tangerine peel)
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 1/2 ounces orange juice (freshly squeezed, strained)
- 4 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1/3 cup cognac (see note in description)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, beat together the olive oil, sunflower oil, sugar, and grated peel, and add all remaining ingredients except the flour mixture. Combine well.
- 3Add the flour slowly, mixing with pastry hooks or by hand to make the dough. The dough is ready when it pulls away from the sides of the mixing bowl or when it no longer sticks to the hands.
- 4Preheat oven to 340°F (170°C).
- 5Take small pieces of dough, roll by hand into ropes and form into shapes: spirals, figure eights, pretzel shapes, etc.
- 6Place on ungreased cookie sheets leaving space between, and bake at 340°F (170°C) for 35-45 minutes, until lightly browned. Test for doneness. Cookies should be lightly browned and wonderfully crumbly all the way through.
- 7Cool on racks completely. When thoroughly cooled, store in cookie tins or glass containers with tightly-fitting lids, or freeze in plastic bags.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Citrus & Spice Cookie Twists (Koulourakia Portokaliou)
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 25
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 287.7
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 89.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 4.2 g