Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is just amazing! Dug this one out from somewhere...again I have no idea where now but this is well worth making. I like this most with creme fraiche or ice cream, definitely best served hot from the oven.
- 4 ounces butter, plus extra for greasing
- 3 ounces plain flour
- 1 ounce cornflour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 ounces golden caster sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 ounces plain flour
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- creme fraiche or ice cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 190°C / 375°F.
- Lightly butter an 18cm / 7-inch cake tin or a 23cm / 9 inch sandwich tin and line the base with parchment paper.
- To make the crumble topping, sieve the flour into a bowl and using your hands rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- To make the cake, sieve the flour, cornflour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Add the butter, sugar and eggs and beat together until smooth.
- Transfer to the prepared cake tin and level the top, then sprinkle over the reserved crumble topping.
- Bake for 45 minutes until firm and springy, remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes.
- Turn out onto a plate and cut into slices - serve with creme fraiche / ice cream.