Recipe by BDH
This is a delicious and filling bread for breakfast. No mixer required. Slice each loaf into at least 10 or 12 slices and freeze in a zip lock bag. Because slices are long and slender (I use a kitchenaid softsided loaf pan), I stand slices on end in a wide-mouth toaster and toast right from the freezer. We like the combination of crunchy edges and moist center. Great with butter or fruit spread. This was adapted from All Bran Banana Bread. I have used a regular oven and a convection oven. Both work well. Added note: Since I posted this recipe, I made the recipe once when I had only one individual tub of apple sauce. I had some left-over crushed pineapple with juice in the refrigerator, so I filled the empty apple sauce tub with that to measure and used juicy pineapple as a substitute. It worked well. Thanks to all of you who made kind comments!
Top Review by Kitchen__Princess
This did not turn out well for me. I'm not sure what was wrong, it looked good like in the pictures, but I couldn't eat it. Perhaps I hadn't cooked it long enough or maybe the fact that I used homemade applesauce? Was just a weird taste/texture. Not sure but I'm going to stay away from recipes that use bran cereals from now on as I don't like the way they turn out. Sorry I couldn't be more positive on this one :(
- 1 cup all-bran cereal
- 1 cup applesauce (two individual containers)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄4 cup sugar substitute (Baking Splenda blend works well)
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 egg (or egg substitute)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (organic is good)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Oil bottom and sides of pan (EXTRA LIGHT olive oil is healthy and not strong tasting).
- Assemble ingredients as listed in order.
- Mix first 6 ingredients; beat with a spoon.
- Whip egg with a fork and add it to #4.
- Mix well.
- Add WW flour, cinnamon, & baking powder.
- Mix all well.
- Spoon into oiled loaf pan.
- Bake in oven for 30-45 minutes or until cooked when tested.
- Cool and slice and toast. (Cutting warm bread makes it crumble.).