Recipe by mielhollinger
Old-fashioned rolled oats make a hearty morning meal. If you prefer, use dates or raisins instead of or in addition to the dried apples. (This recipe is from the book "The Vegan Sourcebook".)
Top Review by flipchef
I wanted to make something different for breakfast. Pancakes just didn't sound good, and the kids wanted oatmeal. I LOVE THIS RECIPE!!! It was DEEEEElicious! I used fresh apples and regular pancake syrup and it tasted so good! For the first time ever, my daughter actually at the entire bowl! TFS
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 1⁄4 cups cold water
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dried apples
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons organic flax seed oil (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts or 2 tablespoons pecans or 2 tablespoons almonds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all the ingreients except the maple syrup, flaxseed oil, and nuts in a medium saucepan and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 2 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in maple syrup and flaxseed oil, if using.
- Sprinkle one tablespoon nuts over each serving, if desired.