Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Old-fashioned rolled oats make a hearty morning meal. If you prefer, use dates or raisins instead of or in addition to the dried apples. (This recipe is from the book "The Vegan Sourcebook".)
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 1⁄4 cups cold water
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dried apples
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons organic flax seed oil (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts or 2 tablespoons pecans or 2 tablespoons almonds (optional)
- Place all the ingreients except the maple syrup, flaxseed oil, and nuts in a medium saucepan and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 2 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in maple syrup and flaxseed oil, if using.
- Sprinkle one tablespoon nuts over each serving, if desired.
I wanted to make something different for breakfast. Pancakes just didn't sound good, and the kids wanted oatmeal. I LOVE THIS RECIPE!!! It was DEEEEElicious! I used fresh apples and regular pancake syrup and it tasted so good! For the first time ever, my daughter actually at the entire bowl! TFS
yum, I did a half serve but didn't use the oil or nuts. This was lovely & warming for the belly on a cold winter's day. Thanks!
This can be made for 4 easily. very hearty and warming. I cut the recipe by 1/2. Raisins would have been great in this too. I used fresh apples that I diced. I did need a bit more water.