Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love sweet potatoes and this is wonderful. Points 4.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple cider or 1 1⁄2 cups apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- Cook sweet potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until halfway cooked, (a knife inserted into center will encounter resistance), about 5 minutes.
- Drain and cool.
- (This step can be done 1 day ahead if sweet potatoes are covered and refrigerated.)
- Combine cider, sugar, butter, nutmeg and allspice in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Add potatoes and reduce heat so liquid is simmering.
- Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cranberries and continue cooking until liquid is reduced to a syrupy glaze and potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- (If the glaze becomes very thick before potatoes become tender, thin it with a small amount of cider.
- When potatoes are tender, transfer to a serving bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour remaining glaze over sweet potatoes and serve.
A wonderful addition to our Thanksgiving table this year! I loved it! I think it even tastes better the second day. I added marshmallows on top, but cooking down the cider makes it sweet already. I will be making this again for our New Years Day dinner. Thank you, Dancer, for sharing!
Kids loved it. I like it too. Very good and easy.