Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This recipe can be used as a base to make your own chunky sauce. Replace any of these ingredients with your family favourites; meats as well as vegetables. Use fresh herbs when available.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 yellow pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) canscubed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 0.5 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oil; add onions,shallots, celery and sauté 5 minutes; add garlic and peppers and sauté a few minutes.
- Transfer to your slow cooker.
- Add ground beef to your sauté pan and cook until meat is brown breaking it up as it cooks; add seasoning and beef broth; blend together.
- Transfer to you slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Cover and cook on High 4 hours or Low 8 hours.
- Store in individual containers in the freezer.
- Serve over your favourite pasta or rice.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.