Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is from the Toledo Blade 12/30/08 story about marshmallow. They credit the King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion. This uses #346464 Marshmallow Fluff or you can use store purchased marshmallow creme. I couldn't get 'zaar to reference my other recipe. My apologies to Chef # 1099471 for not posting this recipe sooner. Please note that the cocoa is 1/4 c + 2T, but I couldn't get it to make sense on one Recipezaar line!
For the Cookies
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
For the Filling
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups marshmallow creme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt, dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Lightly grease or parchment line two baking sheets.
- To Make cookies:.
- Cream together shortening, brown sugar, egg in a large bowl.
- Whisk together cocoa, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in another bowl.
- In a third bowl, mix vanilla and milk.
- Alternate adding dry ingredients and milk mixture to the shortening mixture, beating until smooth.
- Drop stiff batter by the 1/4 cupful onto prepared sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies for 15 minutes, until they are firm to the touch.
- Cool completely on cooling racks.
- To make filling:.
- Beat all of the ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Assemble by spreading about 1/4 c filling on half of the cookies and top with the remaining cookies.