This is from the Toledo Blade 12/30/08 story about marshmallow. They credit the King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion. This uses #346464 Marshmallow Fluff or you can use store purchased marshmallow creme. I couldn't get 'zaar to reference my other recipe. My apologies to Chef # 1099471 for not posting this recipe sooner. Please note that the cocoa is 1/4 c + 2T, but I couldn't get it to make sense on one Recipezaar line!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Cookies
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
For the Filling
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F
- 2Lightly grease or parchment line two baking sheets.
- 3To Make cookies:.
- 4Cream together shortening, brown sugar, egg in a large bowl.
- 5Whisk together cocoa, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in another bowl.
- 6In a third bowl, mix vanilla and milk.
- 7Alternate adding dry ingredients and milk mixture to the shortening mixture, beating until smooth.
- 8Drop stiff batter by the 1/4 cupful onto prepared sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- 9Bake cookies for 15 minutes, until they are firm to the touch.
- 10Cool completely on cooling racks.
- 11To make filling:.
- 12Beat all of the ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- 13Assemble by spreading about 1/4 c filling on half of the cookies and top with the remaining cookies.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Whoopie Pies
Serving Size: 1 (196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 890.6
- Calories from Fat 423
- Total Fat 47.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 35.0 mg
- Sodium 722.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 113.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 67.6 g
- Protein 6.9 g