This is my husband's favorite cake. Delicious white chocolate cheesecake layered with moist chocolate cake. I haven't yet tried this recipe, but found it online and will make sometime soon. Preparation time is estimated. http://www.thatsmyhome.com/chocolate/tuxedo-cake.htm
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
White Cheesecake Layer
- 1 1/2 lbs cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces white baking chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting
- 1White Cheesecake Layer:
- 2Beat cream cheese with confectioners sugar until smooth. Blend in sour cream, vanilla extract and white chocolate.
- 3Stir the gelatin into the cold water in a small saucepan and allow mixture to stand several minutes to soften. Then heat mixture gently over a low setting until thoroughly dissolved. Cool briefly, then blend into the cream cheese mixture.
- 4Line bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with foil, then coat pan and foil well with a nonstick spray. Pour mixture into prepared pan, cover top of pan and chill until firm.
- 5This cheesecake layer can be prepared up to two days in advance, and held in the refrigerator.
- 6Chocolate Layers:.
- 7Melt chocolate chips in a small heavy gauge saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- 8Preheat oven to 350F and arrange rack to the center position. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- 9Cream the butter with the sugar until very light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract and the cooled, melted chocolate. Whisk the flour with the baking soda and salt and gradually stir into the batter. Blend in the sour cream and divide batter evenly between the two prepared pans.
- 10Bake at 350F about 25 minutes or until layers spring back when lightly pressed in their centers. Cool layers in pans 10 minutes, then loosen and turn out onto a rack to complete cooling. Makes Two 9-inch layers
- 11Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting:
- 12Melt chocolate chips and butter in a small, heavy gauge saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and cool 10 minutes.
- 13Stir in sour cream and vanilla extract. Gradually add confectioners sugar, beating until frosting is smooth.
- 14Assemble the Cake:
- 15Arrange one of the cooled chocolate cake layers in center of a cake plate, top side down. Placing top side (because of its moist surface) down will help to secure cake to plate, preventing layers from slipping after cake is assembled.
- 16Release rim of the springform pan. Holding cheesecake in one hand and chocolate cake layer (on plate) in other hand, quickly invert chocolate layer (plate and all) on top of the cheesecake. Quickly flip the two, now attached layers back over, so chocolate layer is again on bottom. Now, you can easily remove springform pan bottom from (now top) of cheesecake layer.
- 17Arrange the remaining chocolate cake layer (top side down) on top of cheesecake layer. Using a long sharp knife and a slight sawing motion, carefully cut around rim of cheesecake layer to make it even with chocolate layers.
- 18Frost sides and top of cake and serve. The cheesecake layer will hold at room temperature several hours.
- 19For best results, serve cake within 3 hours of assembling.
- 20Refrigeration will cause the frosting to loose its beautiful sheen.
- 21Makes one, three layer, 9-inch round cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Tuxedo Cake
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 974.6
- Calories from Fat 534
- Total Fat 59.3 g
- Saturated Fat 36.4 g
- Cholesterol 153.4 mg
- Sodium 519.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 106.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 87.7 g
- Protein 11.8 g