Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Peter Meltzer and Mark DiGiulio of Restaurant Quatorze in New York City. A make ahead recipe for special occasions like Valentine's day for your sweetie who loves chocolate. Preparation time is approximate and does not include 8 hour refrigeration period.
- 15 ounces semisweet chocolate (good quality)
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (good quality)
- 2 cups heavy cream or 2 cups whipping cream
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup praline paste (available in some supermarkets or speciality food shops)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup brown Creme de Cacao
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 tablespoon espresso or 1 tablespoon very strong coffee, cooled
- Break both chocolates into chunks and place in a double boiler over simmering water. Heath until melted, stirring occasionally. Set aside and cool until lukewarm.
- Whip the cream until it is stiff and doubled in volume. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites until they form soft peaks. Add the confectioners' sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, beating constantly until stiff but not dry. Set aside.
- Combine praline paste, salt and creme de cacao in large mixing bowl. Stir well and add egg yolks. Whisk until smooth.
- Add melted butter, espresso and melted chocolate to the praline paste mixture and blend thoroughly. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the whipped cream. Finally, very gently fold in the egg whites.
- Spoon mousse into individual bowls or large serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 8 house before serving.