Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
If you're searching for a fun indoor activity, this is just the recipe you need for hours of imaginative play! Instead of a typical homemade, fruit-scented or pastel-colored play dough, I wanted something different. This chocolate version was perfect for my 4-year-old and I to play "bakery" and "candy shop"! I discovered this recipe at: http://www.theimaginationtree.com/2012/01/easy-chocolate-play-dough-recipe.html. The blogger who originally posted it proclaimed, "This stuff is the BEST! It looks great, smells wonderful and prompts so much imaginative play and only takes 4 minutes to make. Perfect!" Well, it's safe to say my little girl and I agree 100%!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup salt
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 drops glycerin (Optional for increased shine and stretch)
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir in the vegetable oil.
- Stir in the boiling water (adult only) and mix until combined.
- When the dough has cooled a little, knead it on a clean surface until it loses all stickiness and becomes smooth and stretchy. No residue should come off on your fingers. If it is still sticky, add a little more flour. If it's too dry and crumbly, add more water (a tablespoon at a time).