Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Chocolate pepper cookies from the book Where Flavor Was Born
- 1 lb bittersweet chocolate or 1 lb semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 12 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup fine brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- Melt half the chocolate.
- Beat butter until light and airy.
- Add sugar and beat until completely incorporated into butter.
- Beat in eggs one by one.
- Combine flour and baking soda and sift into butter mixture little by little until incorporated.
- Mix chocolate into the butter mixture.
- Stir in remaining chopped chocolate and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate until dough is cool and firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cover baking sheet with parchment paper ( or grease generously).
- Place tablespoonful of batter about 1 inch apart on sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until crisp on outside but still chewy inside.
A VERY CHOCOLATEY, VERY PEPPERY, non-sweet cookie, with an unusually light texture! I melted 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, and chopped 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate.
WARNING! Do not chill the dough! It was very hard to scoop until the dough came back to room temperature; even then the dough had to be hand packed into the scoop because it was so crumbly.
Made for Peppercorns~Black Pepper Recipe Tag, March 2012, in the Photo Forum.