Recipe by WiGal
One of my friends is a celiac and a nature photographer who developed this recipe for her unique situation. This is what she has to say about her recipe, "When I am out for hours on a photo shoot and I feel my blood sugar falling, these energy bars both satisfy my hunger and appeal to my palate. This is a recipe which I adapted from commercial energy bars that are both gluten free and sugar free. My son is also intolerant to chocolate, so I substitute lime juice for chocolate when I make them for him." Mary subs 4 tablespoons of lime juice for the cocoa. Cooking time includes chilling time. Mary has put them into different size pans, the pan size determines the thickness of the energy bar. She cuts hers into 1.5 inch squares. Check out her website at http://web.mac.com/maryferguson2/Site/My_Albums_/My_Albums_.html.
Top Review by VistaWinds
We will be going on a camping trip. I have been eating Paleo, and slowly "weaning" my husband off gluten. He loves coconut and dark chocolate, so I thought these would be perfect. Recipe came together very easy. Great taste. Only difference I made was to add 1 teaspoon of sea salt, and I used almonds. I will cut them into smaller bars as 1 lb of dates is a lot to work with. Thanks for sharing a great simple recipe. I'm sure my vegan buddies will all be hanging around the cooler when these come out!!!
- 1 lb pitted dates (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups almond meal
- 2 cups unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 2 cups nuts, chopped (pecans, walnuts)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put dates in a saucepan, add water and boil until the water is absorbed and the dates are soft.
- Remove from heat and smooth the mixture with a wooden spoon until you have a soft, thick paste.
- Place mixture in a large mixing bowl.
- Add cocoa powder and mix thoroughly with dates.
- Add ground almonds and stir into paste.
- Add coconut and chopped nuts.
- Knead these last two ingredients into the mixture either by hand or use a bread hook.
- When thoroughly mixed transfer to a 8” x 13” pan; smooth mixture out and cover it.
- Place in the refrigerator and let it set for an hour before cutting into squares.