1/3 Photos of Chocolate Layer Cake with Chocolate Glaze
5 hrs 25 mins
A Chocoholic's delight! This cake is a bit time consuming to make, but worth the trouble! On the plus side, it can be made in stages, and assembled the day of serving. Prep time includes chilling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups milk (do not use low-fat or nonfat)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 5 large egg yolks
- 6 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup strong fresh-brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1For filling: Bring milk to simmer in heavy medium saucepan.
- 2Remove from heat.
- 3Combine sugar and cornstarch in large bowl.
- 4Beat egg yolks into sugar mixture.
- 5Gradually whisk hot milk into yolk mixture.
- 6Return mixture to saucepan.
- 7Whisk over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens, about 1 minute.
- 8Remove from heat; add chocolate, butter and vanilla and whisk until mixture is smooth.
- 9Transfer filling to medium bowl.
- 10Cool, stirring occasionally.
- 11Gently press plastic wrap directly onto surface of filling; cover and chill until cold, at least 3 hours.
- 12For cake: Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 13Butter 17 1/4 x 11 1/2 x 1-inch jelly roll pan.
- 14Line pan with parchment paper.
- 15Sift first 6 ingredients into large bowl.
- 16Whisk coffee, buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla in medium bowl.
- 17Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients; mix just until combined.
- 18Transfer batter to prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- 19Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- 20Cool cake completely in pan on rack.
- 21Using small knife, cut around edges of pan.
- 22Turn cake out onto work surface.
- 23Peel off parchment.
- 24Trim tough edges.
- 25Cut cake crosswise into three 5x10 1/2-inch pieces.
- 26(Filling and cake can be made ahead. Keep filling refrigerated up to 2 days. Wrap cake layers in plastic and refrigerate up to 1 day.) Place 1 cake layer on platter.
- 27Spread half of filling over top.
- 28Top with second cake layer.
- 29Spread remaining filling over.
- 30Top with third cake layer.
- 31Pour lukewarm glaze over top and sides of cake, covering completely.
- 32Smooth sides with spatula.
- 33Refrigerate 2 hours.
- 34(Can be prepared 1 day ahead; cover and keep refrigerated.).
- 35Chocolate Glaze (Makes 3 cups): Bring cream to simmer in large saucepan over low heat.
- 36Add chocolate, whisk until smooth.
- 37Remove from heat.
- 38Stir in corn syrup.
- 39Cool glaze until barely lukewarm.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Layer Cake with Chocolate Glaze
Serving Size: 1 (2589 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 6238.5
- Calories from Fat 2995
- Total Fat 332.8 g
- Saturated Fat 149.7 g
- Cholesterol 2089.2 mg
- Sodium 2974.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 760.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 29.6 g
- Sugars 511.9 g
- Protein 93.3 g