Recipe by NorthwestGal
I adjusted the preparation of a recipe of the same title that I found on In Mama's Kitchen website, to boost the chocolate taste. I tried making this using a dried premium cocoa powder and it was OK; it was much better using melted dark chocolate because it had a depth and richness that was lacking with the dried cocoa powder. The original recipe called for 2 teaspoons creme de menthe, but I thought it was a bit overpowering, so I cut it back to 1 teaspoon and thought it was just right, a subtle hint of the mint yet not so proiminent that the other flavors were lost.
Top Review by Annacia
I don't care if it is the middle of the day, lunch is over and I am now approaching the bottom of this wonderful glass and enjoying every molecule (as I keep saying, age has it's privileges :D). I used excellent quality bittersweet and went along with the recipe to achieve a state of near Nirvana. Coffee, how I love thee - and these lovely add in's don't hurt any at all! YUM.
- 1 cup fresh brewed strong coffee
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate (not powdered cocoa mix)
- 1 ounze Irish whiskey
- whipped cream (the kind from a can)
- 1 teaspoon creme de menthe
- chocolate shavings (optioinal) or cocoa powder (to garnish, optioinal)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place dark chocolate in Irish coffee mug and microwave until melted, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Add hot brewed coffee and stir well, until chocolate and coffee are well blended. Add whiskey.
- Top with a dollop of whipped cream, then drizzle creme de menthe on top of the whipped cream mound. If desired, garnish with chocolate shavings or cocoa powder.
- Serve hot.