Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from Dundee Hazelnuts & The Oregon Hazelnut Industry. The cooking time is the estimated roasting time for the hazelnuts.
- GENERAL DIRECTIONS- FOOD PROCESSOR: Place roasted hazelnuts in food processor container with all-purpose blade.
- Process to coarse butter texture, about 3 minutes.
- Gradually add sugar, salt or other ingredients through feed tube.
- Scrape down sides; continue to process until desired texture is achieved, 4 to 7 minutes.
- BLENDER: Place roasted hazelnuts and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in blender container and grind to meal on low speed.
- Continue to blend on low for several minutes, scraping down sides of container as required and adding another tablespoon of oil, if necessary.
- When butter is fairly fluid, blend on high for 2 to 3 minutes or until desired texture is achieved.
- Gradually add other ingredients and blend on low until thoroughly mixed.
- FOR CRUNCHY BUTTER: Stir in 1/4 cup roasted, chopped hazelnuts or raw sunflower seeds to finished butter.
- Makes 1-3/4 cups butter.
- These butter recipes are for"old-fashioned" butters with no stabilizers; if they are kept refrigerated, very little oil separation will occur.
- Shelf life is about 3 months in the refrigerator.
YUM! This is pretty close to what I buy at Trader Joe's. I used only 1 cup of powdered sugar because I don't like it too sweet and I increased the cocoa to 5 tablespoons because I like it really chocolately. I had to use 3 tablespoons of oil to get it to the consistency I like. I originally tried making it in the blender, but it overheated (it's not even a cheap blender!) and I had to resume grinding in my food processor. Thanks for the recipe! My toast is happy now...