Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From November 2010 Bon Appetit magazine. These take a few steps, but the result is a "wow" for presentation. And it isn't all that hard to do.
- 36 salted roasted almonds, divided
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel, divided
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 12 medjool dates
- 3⁄4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Toss 24 almonds, 1 teaspoon orange peel, honey and spices in a small bowl.
- Cut slit in each date and remove pit.
- Press 2 spice-coated almonds into each slit and enclose nuts in date.
- Line a small baking dish with foil (or greased wax paper) so the dates won't stick while they are setting up.
- Melt chocolate in a small bowl (about 20 seconds in the microwave, stirring halfway through.).
- Dip each date 3/4 of the way into melted chocolate. Shake off excess and place on foil.
- Sprinkle remaining orange peel over chocolate.
- Dip each plain almond halfway into chocolate and set on top of a date.
- Chill until chocolate sets.
I LOVE THESE. But, I think more cinnamon & allspice should be used....maybe add some to the chocolate? Maybe I had the wrong kind of dates, I couldn't fit 2 almonds inside. I also decided I prefer them without the additional almond on top - it's too big & too much. I think this would be a wonderful addition to holiday trays & absolutely will be making them when the holidays roll around!! Instead of dipping the date, I dropped them in the chocolate then fished them out with my chocolate dipper fork. ;) Made for Veggie Swap 7/11. Thank you! :)