Coloured sugar, sprinkles, grated coconut or crushed candy canes may be sprinkled on right after dipping into the chocolate, have fun and use your imagination to decorate the coated pretzels, it's a fun holiday project for children of all ages! :)
- Cover a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- In a double broiler set over simmering water, melt the semisweet chocolate with 2 teaspoons shortening, stirring gently constantly; remove from heat.
- Using tongs dip each pretzel in chocolate allowing excess to drip off.
- Place onto waxed paper (if the chocolate in the pot begins to harden then reheat slightly).
- If you are sprinkling any toppings on do it right after dipping into the chocolate so it will stick.
- Place the coated pretzels in the refrigerator to harden.
- After the pretzels have hardened place the white chocolate in a double boiler and melt over simmering water (or you could melted in the microwave).
- Drizzle the white chocolate in small strands over each pretzel.
- Return to waxed paper and refrigerate.