Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
Something special to make for Easter. Kids and adults like these! (Prep and cooking times may vary and don't include chilling times).
- 1⁄4 cup butter (not margarine)
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a 1 quart microwavable bowl, microwave the butter and brown sugar together on 100% (high) for 1 to 1-1/2 mins, stirring every 30 seconds or until brown sugar is melted.
- Stir in powdered sugar, peanut butter and vanilla extract.
- Shape by teaspoonsful into egg shapes; chill.
- In double boiler or heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt chocolate chips together with the 2 tbsps of shortening.
- With a wooden pick (such as a wooden skewer), dip each egg into chocolate chip mixture, coating completely.
- Place on a baking sheet that has been covered with waxed paper.
- Chill several hours.
- Keep stored in the fridge.
I did it as is, and it came out good, maybe coz when I microwaved the brown sugar, I melted it but not to the point of being too smooth and syrupy. In fact, I didn't stir it after 30 secs, only after a full minute. It tastes like Reese's but with nuts. Thanks.
I think there is something wrong with this recipe. I measured everything, and it was nothing but soup. I had to add more powered sugar to get the right consistancy. I wish I would have measured, so the next person to try this would know the right amount to add, I just threw some in. There is too much liquid-- butter, brown sugar, vanilla, peanut butter, and only 3/4 cup poweded sugar??? Also, recipe states-- makes 48 eggs, they would have to be teeny tiny eggs, I made about palm size and only got 10 eggs. However, the end result did taste very good. And my kids loved them. I think they would be very good with milk chocolate also.
I made these yesterday and I used real butter but had a really hard time shaping them. They tasted delicious but very hard to handle. I don't know what i did wrong i followed the recipe exactely.